Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Review: The Janus Affair by Pip Ballentine and Tee Morris

Summary
Someone is kidnapping prominent women of the suffragist movement. That alone is bad enough, but they're doing it in broad daylight. At rallies. Amid crowds. There's a flash of light, and then the person is gone. When this happens right in front of Wellington Books and Eliza Braun, they know they have to investigate. That means stepping out of the archives yet again and acting as field agents in secret. But they're the only ones who seem interested in solving this case. Shouldn't there be an active agent assigned to do this work?
What's worse... it seems there is. And that agent isn't doing anything to stop the kidnappers.

That's my summary. Here's the one I pulled from http://www.ministryofpeculiaroccurrences.com/novels/
Certainly no strangers to peculiar occurrences, agents Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are nonetheless stunned to observe a fellow passenger aboard Britain’s latest hyper steam train suddenly vanish in a dazzling bolt of lightning. They soon discover this is not the only such disappearance…with each case going inexplicably unexamined by the Crown.
The fate of England is once again in the hands of an ingenious archivist paired with a beautiful, fearless lady of adventure. And though their foe be fiendishly clever, so then is Mr. Books…and Miss Braun still has a number of useful and unusual devices hidden beneath her petticoats.

My Thoughts
I love the chemistry between Welly and Eliza. That goes for the times they get along and the arguments they have. There are some delightful clashes in practice, but they have some wonderful connections, too, and it all comes through in this book.
Personally, I felt more connection with the urgency of this plot than I did with the previous book, Phoenix Rising. I'm not sure exactly why. Perhaps it is all because I am now more familiar with the setting and the characters. The things that drive them are clearer, and this seems more of a tangible problem than the first book had. Morris and Ballentine peppered the narrative with more little details and hints at the resolution than I noticed in the first book, too, but it may have been a failing on my part if I missed such things previously.
There was a great deal more depth to character backgrounds, and especially with the supporting cast. Darn if the authors don't tug at your likes and dislikes with some of those supporting characters. And man, did I get some serious satisfaction out of a couple situations. I won't go into details, but they have definitely elicited some severe smugness from me with regards to a certain someone.
Altogether, this book had me chomping to dive into book three, Dawn's Early Light. I'm going to enjoy the blazes out of it.

Would I Recommend This Book? Yes, I would! The chemistry between our dashing archivist and colonial pepperpot continues to develop, and the conflicts they're tossed into only adds flavor to the amacing recipe of these books. I'm eager to see what comes of them in the next installment. I give The Janus Affair a coppery 4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment