Saturday, July 18, 2015

Mini-Book Review: Mimes by Paul E. Cooley

Mimes is a quick read that makes silence into something chilling. I wouldn't necessarily call this novelette scary or terrifying, but it definitely gave me goosebumps. The main character, Joseph, is fairy unobtrusive, so that it would be easy to project myself into his shoes. Normally, I would say that his sort of "everyman-ness" would detract form the story, but this wasn't a long enough read for it to be an issue. There was just enough information, action, and personality in him to keep things moving and interesting. Honestly, I think it is the other real character we are involved with, Harvey, that shows the character development I know Cooley for.

As for the story itself, I enjoyed it all in one sitting and got shivers at the end. I did have the desire to see it expanded, if not into a full novel, then into something longer. It's not bad at this short length, but I wanted more development of plot, if not necessarily in character. I believe Mimes could be expanded into a thoroughly chilling novella, at least. Is it worth a read? Absolutely! The ending alone makes me cringe in a delicious way when I think about it, and that alone makes it worth the effort to consume Cooley's words.
Is it Cooley's best work? No. But it's a nice little treat. I give Mimes a silent 4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment