Sunday, February 14, 2016

Book Review: Pirate's Prophecy by Chris A. Jackson

Summary
Torius Vin and his crew can't really call themselves pirates any more, now that they're working as slavery abolitionists. Sure, they play pirates, capturing slave ships so they can free slaves, but it's not who they used to be. It's a life they miss, but it's not one they can get out of. And now, with a new weapon in the hands of the Chelish navy, it's looking like their abolitionist careers are about to come to a short, watery end.
That's my summary. Here's the one I pulled from amazon
Captain Torius Vin and the crew of the Stargazer have given up the pirate life, instead becoming abolitionist privateers bent on capturing slave ships and setting their prisoners free. But when rumors surface of a new secret weapon in devil-ruled Cheliax, are the Stargazers willing to go up against a navy backed by Hell itself?
Style
You can find my comments on Jackson's writing style here.

My Thoughts
Ah, it's great to see the old crew again! All those characters I loved from Pirate's Honor and Pirate's Promise are back, and the stakes have risen again. The detail and danger are ramped up in this, with the world actually becoming a little smaller while the problem grows larger. The action is much more contained in this novel than in the previous ones, but it didn't leave me feeling claustrophobic. Trapped, maybe, but I think that's also how the crew feels, so that was spot on.
I'm not sure I liked this book as well as the previous two, though. It was good, yes, and the plot was fantastic (this is Chris Jackson we're talking about, after all), but I think maybe the crew has grown too comfortable for me to read, or maybe I also missed the piracy, the freedom they had before. I couldn't (and still can't) quite pinpoint exactly what the drawback was for me on this book. It wasn't serious, but it was there.
Don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The plot was excellent, the writing was beautifully crafted, and it's a good book. But there was just something I couldn't identify that was off for me. That's actually left me in a bit of a pickle. I try not to let my ratings of previous books of series affect how I rate later ones, but I can't help but compare this to the previous two books. Was this a good book? Sure! Did it have the same effect on me that the other two did? I'm afraid not, even though I frustratingly don't know why!
Would I Recommend This Book? Yeah! It's a good book, despite my own unidentifiable issues with it. It's an awesome continuation of the story of Torius and his crew, and it's left me chomping to see where they go next. I give Pirate's Prophecy a drowning 4 of 5 stars.

For more on the author, visit http://jaxbooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment